Understanding Your Contact Lens
Fitting and Evaluation Fees
“Doesn’t my insurance cover contact lens fees?”
It depends on your plan’s coverage. Most vision plans cover an annual eye exam, which determines your glasses prescription and evaluates your eye health. Contact lens services are separate procedures that often are not covered by insurance.
“What are contact lens professional fees for?”
As a contact lens wearer, additional tests are done that are necessary to make sure your eyes are healthy, that the lenses fit properly, and to ensure that you are seeing as well as possible. Contact lens professional fees are for the extra testing and time taken by the staff and doctor each year to properly evaluate your contact lenses.
“Isn’t this part of my annual eye exam?”
Contact lens-related tests are done in addition to the eye examination. These are procedures that only need to be done for contact lens wearers, not for patients who don’t wear contact lenses. Contact lenses are an FDA medical device fit specifically to the curvature of your eye. Contact lenses must not only correct vision, but also must not interfere with normal health functions of the eye, or serious eye injuries or infections could result.
Contact lens prescriptions are only valid for 1-year and evaluations are required yearly.
What is Included in the Fee?
- Corneal Topography: A computerized corneal mapping to document corneal structure and monitor for changes caused by contact lens wear.
- Using a microscope to examine the fit of the contact lens and the health of the cornea.
- Designing your contact lens power using your glasses prescription.
- Unlimited follow-up care related to the contact lenses for the entire year.
- No additional charge for necessary re-fit into different contact lenses.
- Free replacement of damaged or defective lenses when first opened.
- 50% Savings on Back-up glasses* & Sunglasses**
Fitting Fee Structure
Depending on the complexity of the fit and type of lenses you wear, the fee ranges from $129 to $219 annually.
*50% savings includes frame and lenses only, restrictions apply. **Excludes Maui Jim products.
Contact Lens Insertion & Removal Class
Every patient new to wearing contact lenses will have a scheduled appointment with our contact lens technician to demonstrate and master the proper techniques for handling of lenses, inserting and removing the lens, cleaning and disinfection, and proper hygiene. Once you have mastered the techniques, you will wear your new contact lenses home. Depending on the person, this class can range from 30 minutes and beyond. The fee for this service is $40.00 and is not covered by your vision discount plan.